Monday, February 8, 2010

It's Paczki Time.

Paczki Day precedes the beginning of Lent, and the baking of paczki is traditionally a way to use up all of the fat, sugar, and fruit in the house--things forbidden during the strict Polish Lenten season. In Poland, Paczki Day, the day when all of the last paczki are consumed is the Thursday before Ash Wednesday. In Cleveland and the rest of the Midwest, Paczki Day is celebrated on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday
Lucky me, I won a dozen paczki yesterday by calling into a radio station. We have a wonderful local bakery that sell these for 9.00 a dozen. If you count them you'll see that one is missing. I couldn't help myself, the weather is very cold so when I got home from running errands I treated myself with a nice hot cup of coffee and a paczki. I wonder how many calories are in one? Better I don't know.
The bakery (Kiedrowski's) hosts an annual Paczki Ball each year. Great food, dancing and all the paczki's you can eat.
When we were first married, years ago, we actually had a dog that we named Paczki, that was before these jelly filled donuts made a hit in this area. Everyone wanted to know what a Paczki was back then. Guess you can figure it out....my husband is Polish.

My newly designed Bunny candle mat is already in the mail. I listed it yesterday and got a buy it now offer last night and decided to accept it. The offer came from a repeat customer. I need to get busy and make another.Stay warm

No comments:

About Me

My photo
North East Ohio, United States
Hi all, my name is Rosemary and I live in a small village in north east Ohio. I am 59 yrs old, married with two grown children a son (25yrs) a daughter (24yrs) a dalmation(12yrs)and an APL dog(13yrs). I love creating and have learned many crafts. I usually do a few winter craft shows each year. I am also very active in a Relay For Life team through my church. Thanks for stopping by and hopefully we will have some interesting conversations.